Monday, September 15, 2008

Farewell to Henry. Plus, Fall!

So the final rally of Henry Truman's 2008 campaign for the seat of City Co-Chair has come to its downbeat and very bizarre conclusion. Show 3 was by far the least well-attended, and once again we were plagued by people sitting down. It didn't help that we were a bit giddy from three weeks of nearly identical shows, and were laughing a bit more and stretching out the awkward moments, thereby alienating the few souls who chose to stand. It went out with a strange whimper rather than a bang, but in many ways was the funniest of the three shows. Anyway, here's a couple photos to document the evening:

The best back-to-back-to-back of all three shows.

Moody.

So ends the current saga of Henry Truman. I fully expect that the man will be back at some point, at some unspecified date in the future. That's the kind of man he seems like to me.

It's getting on fall-time, my favorite time of year, which I have missed so sorely being in California these past couple years. So I'm trying to spring on every opportunity this area gives me to experience the glory of Autumn. So it was that, yesterday, though it was a sticky 94 degrees outside, the lady and I trekked out to Linvilla Orchards to get a bit of farm air and some fresh vegetables. Oh yes, and delicious delicious apple cider:

Tiny, but effective.


It was really necessary to get out of the city for a while. Lame as it sounds, it was a centering experience. I feel more focused on all fronts, eager to face the future with a renewed sense of purpose. I think this city gets me into a cycle of stagnation and sameness, and maybe regular trips out of its borders and into some greenery, where you can see the sky unhindered and can smell things other than pavement and garbage, can really do a man good. That is my hypothesis, and I'm excited to test it.

Here is the result of the fresh vegetable shopping. We also picked up a couple of decorative pumpkins and gourds, and settled down for a nice, fresh, delicious dinner.

Delicious, grillicious sandwiches.

Very few things are better than fresh, grilled zucchini. That is all.

1 comment:

Jess said...

My my was that apple cider delicious!