Monday, November 10, 2008

From the Desk of Cl. and Sp. Notes, Bros. at Large

I just got the internet letter from two imaginary people. Read it!

Dear Mr. N. Notes,

You should know what we understand what it is you are said to doing in our name. You should also know that it is our name and that is how we get away with it. Notes, I mean. Our name is Notes. That is how we avoid not only lawsuits but vigilante murders by ourselves, if you know what I'm getting at.

(Note: What Notes means here is simply that he is threatening Nick for using the family name. The language here indicates that there is an underlying reason for Notes' anger - namely, that his business is now in trouble due to Nick's superb emulation of the Notes' style of book-shortening.)

Whoops that was my instinct just kicking in. Anyway, cease and desist right now or else there will be consequences.

With promises of legal and/or vigilante action,

Cliff Notes, Brother at Large.

PS I loved your work on Moby-Dick!

Do not worry gentle readers, I am not intimidated by fake characters coming to life and unleashing their baseless legal action on me.

It wouldn't be the first time, and I did fine for myself last time. Stay tuned.

No comments: