Saturday, November 8, 2008

RIP Pequod

Finished up Moby Dick this morning, and I'm still processing it. I think I will be for some time, actually. It is not a tale that you easily forget. Every page is so drenched with meaning that one could think about it for the rest of one's life. I'm sure there are people like this, because one way to describe this thing is Biblical. A story of revenge, morality, history, retribution, and the multi-faceted realities of human nature.

It is beyond comprehension the first time 'round. It is simultaneously a very simple story and an extremely complex epic. I'm proud of myself for getting through it, and I'm sure I will do it again when I'm ready.

On Monday, Jess and I are going out to our alma mater with our recently-booked wedding photographer to do what's called an engagement session, even though we've been engaged for over a year. It's really more a chance to get some good professional pictures of ourselves in a more casual setting, to get used to being the center of attention in front of a camera, and to maybe get some pictures we can use for wedding stuff. It helps that we negotiated the price a bit and essentially got this upcoming session for free. Should be fun to document our enjoyment of each other.

I guess this may not be the place for this - such a place exists elsewhere on the internet - but there it is.

Oh and I got a haircut at an actual place for like the first time in 5 years. Evidently my haircut is modeled after Cary Grant. Whatever. I am clean cut for a change, and I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

No comments: